GSTIN- GST Number
In previous post we have dealt with meaning of Aggregate Turnover and limit for registration. In this post we will learn about GSTIN-GST Number. Everybody is curious about what GST number is it? Here we discuss.
GSTIN refers to GST Identification Number assigned to every GST registered dealer.
What is GSTIN?
Before GST was implemented, all dealers registered under the state VAT law were assigned a unique TIN number by the respective state tax authorities. Similarly, service providers were assigned a service tax registration number by the Central Board of Excise and Custom (CBEC).
Going forward, in the new GST regime, all registered taxpayers will get consolidated into one single platform for compliance and administration purposes and will be assigned registration under a single authority.
All of these businesses will be assigned a unique Goods and Services Tax Identification Number (GSTIN).
Verification of GSTIN can be done on the GST Portal. We will talk about how to verify GSTIN later on. Please refer our day to day blogs.
Hey, For more basics of GST refer our other blogs by clicking here: –
- What is GST?
- Advantages and Disadvantages of GST?
- E-Way bill?
- Exemption List under GST?
- Types of GST Taxes?
Structure of GSTIN?
Each taxpayer is assigned a state-wise PAN-based 15-digit Goods and Services Taxpayer Identification Number (GSTIN).
Here is a format break-down of the GSTIN:
- The first two digits represent the state code as per Indian Census 2011. Every state has a unique code. For instance,
- State code of Uttar Pradesh is 09
- State code of Delhi is 07
- The next ten digits will be the PAN number of the taxpayer
- The thirteenth digit will be assigned based on the number of registration within a state
- The fourteenth digit will be Z by default
- The last digit will be for check code. It may be an alphabet or a number.
How to apply for GSTIN?
It is part of the GST Registration process. We will discuss the whole registeration process in our upcoming blogs. Once the application is approved by the GST officer, a unique GSTIN is allocated to the dealer.
There are two ways to register for GST:
- via GST Online Portal or
- via GST Seva Kendra set up by Government of India
There is no costs to be charged by government to obtain GSTIN and GST registration.
Once an entity has its GSTIN then it is able to issue Tax invoice correctly and can file their returns properly.
Have you filed your GST Returns Yet?
Our experts at early GST can help you file all your GST returns and help you with GST compliance. Get your GST returns filed now! Mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Geetika Goyal (Team Itslyf)
Wanna Earn Bitcoins for free??